Friday 7 January 2011

What's love got to do with it?


I'm no beginner when it comes to relationships, I have had a few in my time. I'm quite intelligent and perceptive, I like new challenges and am always eager to learn. So why is it, after all of my life's experiences, I am no closer to understanding women?

I have always known that men and women are opposites in every sense of the word, but I also believed there was much more common ground than there appears to be.

What I expect from a partner;

1- Love and affection
2- Loyalty
3- Fidelity
4- Consideration

Nothing more nothing less. Simple really, the main ingredients for a loving relationship. But what has been expected of me is much more complicated than that. Why?

The following are some of the demands and conditions expected from me by my companions.

1-  Love
2-  Loyalty
3-  Fidelity  (so far so good )
4-  Provide financial security
5-  Be at their beck and call 24/7
6-  Providing a shoulder to cry on (still OK to a degree,)
7-  Enduring rejection and emotional blackmail regularly
8-  Stopping smoking
9-  Putting up with mood swings and tantrums
10-Listening to gossip
11-Putting up with friends/family feuds caused by partner
12-Trying to resolve said friends/family feuds
13-Ensuring we live in "the right area", affordable or not
14-Putting up with  "what's mine is ours what's hers is hers"...

...there are plenty more, too numerous to publish.

Albert Einstein made an interesting observation on relationships and said;

"Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change.Invariably they are both disappointed"

No wonder Jesus never married! You need to be a saint to put up with it.

;)

3 comments:

  1. And clearly a saint is what you are...

    I don't know about you but I would be interested what Top 14 lists (of what they felt you expected from them) some of your exes would come up with.
    I'm not having a go - I am a freaking nightmare! Though I am working on it & my husband always can rely on at least the Top 3 on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Angeline- I reckon my exes would have a fair bit to say on the matter. I am rather demanding and can be a bit of a pain at times. If your husband has the top 3 then you can't be the nightmare you claim to be and he is a lucky man.

    Thanks for the comment

    PS. I'm no saint but definately no demon either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you forgot the most important one - but i have a great song by aretha franklin if u need to remember ;) - respect! x :)

    ReplyDelete