Tuesday 15 January 2013

At least I can say "I did it my way"

Tomorrow, Wednesday Jan 16, will be my last gig in Madeira - at least for the foreseeable future. I'm looking forward to this event with joy and sorrow in equal measure.

The Hole in One Pub is a place I adore to play. Both customers and staff are an agreeable lot who join in with the singing. It is also always packed to the rafters, creating a most pleasant atmosphere. I always give it my all and at times play a longer set than I need, such is the pleasure of performing to the ever-grateful crowd

Pretty impressive garden

One of the nicest pubs in Madeira 


Sound-check prep

It will be an emotional last gig for me as quite a few of my friends will turn up and undoubtedly join in the music. It will be sad to leave behind so many people I've come to love over the last 16 months. Friends who have helped me, supported me, given me their time, companionship and their love.

Anyway, another chapter in my unsettled life is about to start. I've yet to book a flight but will do so before month end.

Another move.

I am the rolling stone, the restless nomadic soul who seeks new challenges and thrives in the uncertainty brought about by a lack of routine. Never a dull moment, one may think.

I will be travelling light. Few possessions mean freedom of movement.

Where will it lead me from here?

How will events unfold by in London?

How I love uncertainty!


I will end this post with an extract from Kahil Gibran's The Prophet, on "friendship"

      "And a youth said, "Speak to us of Friendship."

Your friend is your needs answered.
He is your field which you sow with love and reap with thanksgiving.
And he is your board and your fireside.
For you come to him with your hunger, and you seek him for peace.
When your friend speaks his mind you fear not the "nay" in your own mind, nor do        you withhold the "ay,
And when he is silent your heart ceases not to listen to his heart;
For without words, in friendship, all thoughts, all desires, all expectations are born and shared, with joy that is unacclaimed.
When you part from your friend, you grieve not;
For that which you love most in him may be clearer in his absence, as the mountain to the climber is clearer from the plain.
And let there be no purpose in friendship save the deepening of the spirit.
For love that seeks aught but the disclosure of its own mystery is not love but a net cast forth: and only the unprofitable is caught.
And let your best be for your friend.
If he must know the ebb of your tide, let him know its flood also.
For what is your friend that you should seek him with hours to kill?
Seek him always with hours to live.
For it is his to fill your need, but not your emptiness.
And in the sweetness of friendship let there be laughter, and sharing of pleasures.
For in the dew of little things the heart finds its morning and is refreshed.


:)

2 comments:

  1. I so wanted to visit there, to see you playing. Good luck with the next part of your life though. I can understand not wanting to be so far away from your children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll return, someday. Madeira is not the kind of place one can stay away for too long. I'll miss my friends, the relaxed way of life, the weather and much much more

    ReplyDelete