Friday 19 October 2012

When heart and lips are in different locations...

...someone often gets hurt.

My daily quest for conviviality has become an arduous struggle since the closure of the Warm Up Café. It is the place I liked to frequent. I liked it's clientele and atmosphere. Most regulars were, and still are, dear friends of mine.

We have been temporarily scattered, dispersed by the tragic event. We are without a base, an army without camp, or worse, homeless, without warmth and shelter.

You may think I'm being  melodramatic, but I kid you not, this is as serious an event as any I've been through lately.  I know the Warm Up story is not over, by any means, and it is only a matter of time before it re-emerges, stronger and better. But the waiting is unbearable.

But what has this subject got to do with the title of this post?

Absolutely nothing. I´ll get back to the intended topic.

Some days ago I spent an evening and most of the night with a girl I've known a while and have secretly liked. By secretly I mean that my attraction for her remained undisclosed, locked  in my thoughts. I didn't want to let her know my feelings for fear of souring our friendship. I'm sure you all understand.

However, as the night progressed and the beer flowed, I built up the courage to make a move and follow my instinct. I was pleasantly surprised when she responded positively to my advances. She had also told me earlier on, that she had lost interest in some guy - a friend of mine - she fancied for a while.

The coast was clear and I reacted.

He who dares wins!

Or does he?

After that rendezvous, contact between us lessened from what it had been previously, when we were mere friends.

Confused, I decided to be upfront and ask her if there was something wrong. On FaceBook Chat!

"Nothing wrong!" came the reply."But I may not have been completely honest with you that night"

"Please explain."

"Well...my heart is elsewhere. There's someone I really like and he's away at present"

"If your heart was elsewhere, why were your lips on mine?" I enquired

"I don't know...I'm sorry, maybe the drink had something to do with it"

"No need to apologise. I did what I wanted to do"


As the saying goes 'better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved'

Intimacy is a rare and precious gift, to be enjoyed even in the briefest of moments.

:(

2 comments:

  1. Women; so deep, you can't get to the bottom (not a pun).

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, no pun, just truth and irony combined :)

    ReplyDelete