Wednesday 25 May 2011

Absent without network

I'm back!

Nearly 3 weeks without blogging!

Just returned from my two-week trip to Antarctica (photos and countless stories to follow).

Sorry I couldn't reply to your text messages, FB updates and blog comments but you know what it's like away from civilization. No contact with the the world.

Pure bliss and highly recommended if you ever feel like recharging your batteries.

It all started with a 16 hour flight to Tierra Del Fuego...well...

...and it appropriately leads me on to the next topic.

Apparently a new 'phenomenon'  in cyberworld  has just been brought to my attention by some gossip mag. It is "Lying on Facebook".

Hello?

I'd say the only phenomenon is how long it took for that fact to surface.

The report states that an increasing amount of FB users are biggin' up their other-wise drab lives with tall tales. Ummm?

Facebook and Twitter are convenient modern weapons for those who like a good  gossip. And if I remember correctly, from my early childhood, when due to asthma I'd stay in reading comics while my brother and friends played football outside :(  gossiping between my aunts and neighbours often  involved exaggeration, one-upmanship and...blatant lies.

It is so much easier to lie on-line than face to face that I'd wager a bet on most people having  done it (*)...at least once or twice.

(*) Obviously excludes yours truly !  Only joking about Antarctica. Had no Internet, faulty router that took Sky Broadband over 2 weeks to sort out.

Here are some FB updates I have found and their real meanings;

- " fab nite gr8 party :) "  (staying in watching the Bafta Awards on telly)

- " off 2 bed now 4:30 am Zzzzz "  (just woke up in the middle of the night, can't get back to sleep, better check FB)

- " OMG... place rocks, eye-candy everywhere! :O "  (tucked in bed, reading People Magazine)

" should be illegal 2 hav so much fun :P "   (home alone again watching 'Ibiza Nights' on the Living Channel)

*

and finally,  the world didn't end 2 days ago as predicted by some loony evangelist (aren't all evangelists  crazy anyway?)

Well, the world did end for countless millions across the globe who died around that time. 

I would love to know why this particular head-case gets publicity, especially after getting it wrong back in the 90s.

If I predicted Armageddon do you think I would g...

...I think I'm getting inspiration for my next post


;)

No comments:

Post a Comment