Tuesday 8 October 2013

Beauty is more than skin deep

Admiring beauty is a perplexing emotion. I think it is an emotion exclusive to humans - but I may be wrong.

In Nature we often see animals, especially birds, who appear to develop beautiful plumage to attract a mate, but do those creatures actually feel enthralled and mesmerised by beauty as we do?

Humans appear to have slightly varying tastes as far as admiring beauty is concerned, particularly when it comes to other people, but we also have a lot in common when it comes to Nature's works of art.

Take for instance the following photos:

The eye: One of Nature's masterpieces

The graceful elegance of a bird in flight

Refreshing...yet warm
Nature's powerful pyrotechnic displays
Lilac snow and red sky: Paul Gauguin must have painted it

The sizzling, sensual Cheryl Cole - enchants most boys... and some girls

I don't know about you lot, but all the images above evoke within me feelings of wonderment, awe, fascination, incredulity and astonishment.

Surely it's not just me...is it?

:)


9 comments:

  1. Nope, not just you... beauty is a funny thing but to add to the confusion when I was young I'd pass by most kinds of beauty without a second look (most kinds) It seems to me that the admiration of beauty might be a learned thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, you mean you'd pass by all the photos on the post apart from the last one :)

      Delete
  2. No, not just you! I agree with Kymbo -- appreciation is learned -- or maybe it just comes with age...

    ReplyDelete
  3. All in the eye of the beholder. Ahh ... behold Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes Philip, she is definitely a masterpiece

      Delete
  4. Unlike the rest of you (all men) I found honest beauty in all of those photos EXCEPT for the last one. All the others were natural, with no need for cosmetics, possible surgery, and carefully posed camera angles. But then again, I have a different perspective. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha, indeed LJ, we're bound to have differing opinions on that last photo. I do consider the female form a wonderful work of art, no denying :)

    ReplyDelete